Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Beautiful things

The long weekend is over....it was so lovely and relaxing. The days are back to normal, just me and little m. It is freezing cold here today, raining, and there has barely been any daylight. Other Australians think I am crazy, but I love these kinds of days. I love being able to wrap up warm, curl up cozily under a blanket on the sofa. I love the sound of the rain on the roof, and it gushing loudly down our pipes. I love the strange half light, it all reminds me of back home, of England. I guess I never thought when I left 6 years ago, that one of the things I would miss the most would be the English weather, all the rain, and the fog and the frost.

I popped into one of my favourite shops in Melbourne, Zakkaya, at the weekend. I only went in for a birthday card, but the shop was bursting with beautiful things, and I just couldn't help myself.
I bought these beautiful wall stickers for little m. I have been looking for a while, I wanted something non-girly, and a little bit quirky, and these Japanese ones were just perfect.


And these Shinzi Katoh postcards were just too cute.....

And a beautiful wool and wooden beaded necklace, a gift for a friend.


And I did get around to doing a little bit of crafting for myself this weekend too. I bought some beautiful Japanese fabric recently, that I couldn't wait to use...


a simple patchwork scarf,

and patched with some hand embroidery on linen, for a simple bag

5 comments:

  1. Oh no, I don't think you're crazy at all. Days like today are my favourite too. My eldest (10) said he also loves days like this - boys come home from school to eat cheese on toast and hot milo. Comfort eating already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dig those postcards. Thanks for the info on the shop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adore your scarfy & bag...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trouble with English weather is that it is like winter in JUNE at the moment!!! LOVE all your beautiful things especially the lovely scarf and bag - where did you get the bag pattern from?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there,

    I just find you via flickr. Love the items you make, just lovely! So happy to have found you.

    Cheers, Belinda

    ReplyDelete